Friday, May 13, 2011

And they call it puppy love

It's official.  We are dog owners! I almost can't believe it.  I always knew I'd share my life with a dog... some day.  10 years, many pets and lengthy deliberation, Clover, a Vizsla, was to become our canine companion. This is her story, our family's journey, and place to share all the crazy adventures along the way.


January 23, 2011, just two days after eight tiny puppies were born, I fired off an email inquiry and was pleasantly surprised by a quick telephone response. I chatted for nearly an hour with Liz Outram of Pointblank Dogs.  Yep, that's right, an hour!  She answered every question, offered even more information, and although the kennel had been on my radar for several months, I needed to drive out the following week, just to be absolutely sure.  

The litter was now a week old. So, armed with our family bio (I wanted the potential breeder to have a tangible snapshot application) we loaded up the Jeep and off to Norwood, Ontario we went.  The long gravel road lead to a charming farmhouse property.  We were immediately welcomed by husband Kris Cox, who guided us into the large drawing room to observe the secluded nursing mom, found gently tending to her pups.  William quickly lost interest when he couldn't handle the newborns and I was ever thankful Liz & Kris had patient teens that kept him well entertained! Two additional hours later we had covered dogs, hunting, houses, kids and sausages...square Scottish sausages to be exact.  

I luckily shared a few tender moments with Tiger away from the whelping box and met the huggable (literally) Australian sire, Mojo.  With a nod all around the consensus was made this trip felt every bit as good as we had hoped, and the relationship with our breeder began.  

My only regret is that I managed to forget my camera.  Liz promised to send lots of pictures but consequently we lost the best photo op of our little one positioned beneath her mother's head like a pillow.  Instant puppy love.

Photos below are courtesy of Pointblank Dogs
Tiger




Mojo





No comments:

Post a Comment