Monday, January 16, 2012

My Debate

It's now August, which means figuring out the Fall schedule, which quickly becomes one of the busiest months of the year. It's also the time I planned to spay Clover.  In fact it's been a huge debate between us as new dog owners, our veterinary hospital and other members of the canine community.  I remain very aware and supportive of the positive health benefits when performing an ovariohysterectomy.  Though honestly, I've really struggled with the notion of rushing her into the O.R. Yep, feeling lot's of pressure. Not to mention on the receiving end of the odd lecture.

For all my other pets it was a no brainer; six months was predetermined, mostly by my veterinarian whom I'd fully entrusted to make that decision. I've even worked with many doctors recommending as early as 4 months.  I have never wanted to raise a litter of my own.  I just can't fathom the concern involved with potentially raising octuplets or more (Heaven bless our passionately patient breeder).

I've put much thought into this decision.  After years of assisting veterinarians I've seen many opinions and procedures conducted with various outcomes, enough to follow the average life expectancy. Of course that means I've seen first hand the worst case scenario's from unplanned or unwanted animals, pups born with life-threatening complications or challenging deliveries, false pregnancies that lead to pyometra's (uterine infections), behavioural issues, mammary (breast) cancers and so on.

There seems to be more medical studies available for criticism on the subject, that didn't previously exist. Risks like early spay urinary incontinence, increased fearful behaviours in sterile dogs, altered growth patterns and plate closures that interfere with joint stability, regulatory hormonal imbalances and stats on specific types of cancers (like increased osteosarcomas) weigh heavily on my mind.

I am much more open to various perspectives today.  Researching opposing opinions lend to voluminous confusion though I continue to be motivated by knowledge even if it causes anxiety in the process. Many a discussion had with owners, breeders, veterinarians alike and while most (if not all) agree that pets not intended for breeding should be spayed or neutered there is still the obstacle of planning the idyllic time. Without being armed with the knowledge of the exact moment of maturity it becomes a guessing game of circumstance and lottery of risk.  Breed genetics can greatly influence that specific timing.

My current feeling is that I will likely lean towards late October early November somewhere in the vicinity of her ninth month.  Hoping to give her the best benefit of hormonal influences within the nick of time for uncharted worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment